Saturday, March 04, 2006

My Neighborhood


I recently moved to Kitsilano from Metrotown and I see such a difference in so many ways. The air smells differently, the people are different and it actually feels like a community. While I was moving into my new place at least 3 people stopped and welcomed me to the neighborhood. I received no such welcome when I moved into an apartment in Metrotown.

The people that live around Metrotown are just, to put it simply, weird. I consider myself a friendly person so I don't think it's me. They would look at me in a strange way and most of them, I found out quickly, were not taught manners. For example, when you’re walking towards 2 people, and they occupy the whole sidewalk, do you a) walk on the grass so that they can continue occupying the sideway or b) should they move over to let you get by. If you chose b, congratulations, you’ve been successfully socialized! Most people that I’ve encountered chose option a. Another thing that was quite common was: when walking down the sideway someone would simply stop in the middle of the sidewalk for no reason. I think it had something to do with the water so I started drinking bottled water. Not joking! The dripping tapwater in my bathroom left behind this green stain on the sink. To this day I'm not sure what it was. It’s also very noisy, it is quite common to find people smoking pot in the back alley, homeless people looking through your trash and weird noises at night that sound eerily like gunfire.

Although living in Kitsilano can be a bit expensive it's worth it. The quality of life is better, the people here are amazing and I can actually take a walk after dinner and not feel frightened.

I do not recommend living around Metrotown only if a) you're strapped for cash and b) can't find anywhere else to live. It's not an area that's going to improve your quality of life. Most of the time you're going to forget that you're even living in one of Canada's most beautiful provinces.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sean said...

I agree. My father lives beside metro town and he tells me stories about the bad things that happen there. We saw a kidnapped man get stabbed with a knife while trying to escape his kidnappers in my dad's apartment building. His apartment is one of the nicer ones too!

12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home